Friday, February 08, 2008
I am 98% sure I have conjunctivitis again (the remained 2% is for the doctor to describe). Conjunctivitis is commonly known as 'pink eye', unless you get what I get, in which case it's called 'that thing that makes optometrists shake, your eyes go bright red like you're out of 28 Days Later, and you have to put steroids in your eyes'. Last time this happened, I was traveling Europe. Maybe there's a pattern. At least this time, I'm in a country where I kind of understand the people, and I don't have any bus trips from Prague to Budapest in which I sit there and pray the air conditioning breaks because the constant shush-shush stream of air on my eyes is pure hell.

Awesome.

In other bodily news, I think it's time for me to cut more animal products out of my diet. Since being in Ireland, I've gone back to eating eggs, and I've been eating a lot of cheese. Body= not happy. It's funny, because this strikes me as similar to when I gave up red meat, and after a few months my body couldn't take chicken. I'm not sure how easy/hard this will be, because right now the only alternate protein I've found reasonably priced is tofu, and dried beans. Dried beans are just not the same, and I love beans. I wish I could get nuts reasonably priced somewhere, to just have to throw into things.

At the very least, eggs have got to go (which is a slight shame since I've gotten pretty good at doing that whole fold thing when cooking eggs. FYI- if adding cheese to your eggs, try throwing in a few walnuts, with some thyme and a dash of pepper. It's good). I haven't drunk milk while I'm here, and I don't intend to start. I did get coconut milk though, from the Indian Grocery where I have become the token white girl (who buys a lot of bread), so I look forward to playing around with that.

Continuing the cooking story, last night I made (vegan) latkas (well, potato and carrot and onion silver dollar sized pancakes). It was a grease fest, but they're good. If cooking for me wasn't "well I'll throw a little of that in, and handful- ok, bigger handful- of that, and how about some paprika? Yeah.... let's add lots of paprika!", I'd totally put down the recipe.

Labels: , , ,

posted by Courtney at 1:15 AM |

1 Comments:

At 8:38 PM, Blogger Catherine said........
I love you. This would be Cindy of the Trollop 3 by the way, on a brand-new, shameless blog.